Friday, May 1, 2015

Lets, WIN, WIN, WIN.

This morning, driving the childrens to school on this bright, beautiful, North Dakota, May, day- I was listening to them fight in the back seat.  It went something like this, one, made the other feel bad because she didn't want to do something, and the other (that was feeling bad) called him a name. Typical beautiful teenage drama.  As, the sun was shining in my eyes and I cruised down the main street here in Dickinson- I found myself getting heated up. (and not by the beautiful ray in the sky)

See, I took this amazing love and logic course for parents x2.  Yes, you read, right- I took the same course twice, back to back.  It was a 6 week one night a week course on how to have more fun as a parent, by empowering yourself and showing your child empathy.  Big stuff.  To any of my blog reader parents, please if this calls to you- find a class, it really has changed my life.  I am actually planning on taking the teaching course of this class (I am that passionate about it). Anyways, back to the car.

Love and logic would tell me to have empathy, for both kids.  Saying something like, "I know, I have been teased, and hate being treated unkindly"-for the one who had been called the name. And, "I understand, I don't like when someone makes us do something, when its uncomfortable"-for the one who didn't want to do something.. Then I would finish it off by, "kids that fight on the way to school, get to walk".  And, possibly pulling over- and watching them get out of the car, (happily I am sure).

But, instead..I spoke. And, as I write this now, I realize how big it was.

"Don't let anyone take your power away from you, ever." "Walk away, speak up, do what's right just for you, make no apologies, be yourself, heck, punch them if there
crossing boundaries", but DONT let anyone take your power away from you, ever".
"And, name teasing, and making someone feel bad for not feeling comfortable by not doing something, well that's...FAKE POWER.

And, I think I finished it off with, saying how I believed in them both and hope they had a good day. As the school came into view, and the teenagers got out and doors slammed shut, I was left thinking about our morning drive in, as I drove back home, to enjoy my first cup of my favorite coffee.

Thoughts  went like this, "Hmm, probably should keep practicing what your preaching, Michelle".

The truth is, 9 months ago, my hubby and I made a powerful decision to move our family away from there friends and families to try a life out here in North Dakota.

As, we left that August day- my big sister ( I love you Lisa Ann) gave me an audio CD to listen to as I drove and followed the orange and white U-Haul.  It was called, THE POWER, by Rhonda Britton.  I listened to it, most of the drive.   And, looking back, it was like the song that's playing as your warm up before your basketball game in high school.  It filled me with joy, determination, and motivation- perfect start to make a better life for me and my family out west.

Last week, I finished the POWER OF VULNERABLITY course by Brene Brown.  Best 30 bucks, I could've spent on myself.  Hours of listening to research done by an open hearted individual on the hard (but good) stuff, shame, guilt, love, whole heartedness, and of course. vulnerability.

Yes, friends- I have spent months, (lets be honest) years learning how to live my life, for me- in my power.

And still today, I was left on the drive home from school my brain filled, with the words I always tell my kids, "anyone can speak it, but show it."

Show me your power. Show me what works for you. Show me your life for you, show me your joy, peace, content happiness.

I can write, I have always done a good job, (English was my favorite subject) but- the hardest lesson I have needed to learn is SHOWING UP,  for  the life I have always wanted.

Some believe we should be content with food, clothing, and shelter.  I say we should be grateful for all those things. But,  I believe, we should live the life we want, with no excuses, showing up. Doing, what works for you- believing in what works for you.

Last week I got to go spend an hour and a half with a great group of kids, as a speaker about Mindfulness.  I SHOWED UP, nervous, scared, excited. And, when I jumped in Arnie (our car) and pulled out onto the highway leaving the peaceful place, I felt like I could move mountains.  Better yet, first female president of the big beautiful United States, or climb Mt. Everest without stopping.  I was full.

And, when I vulnerably spoke in my power about my life, magic happened. Because, those kids, well they healed something in me.  They asked me questions, that I needed to ask myself.  They, themselves were able to be, honest.  And, well I left there knowing (you know the move mountain part) that it was a WIN, WIN, WIN situation. I won, they won, and the whole better whole, WON.

This afternoon, when I pick my kids up from school, and there may be fighting, I might holler. Tomorrow I might not want to get out of bed.  Next week at rush hour, I might freak out when I am stuck in a traffic jam on Main street here in Dickinson.

But today, today, this moment, is all we have.  And, dear readers, dear friends-lets practice power, in the moment. For us, for our kids, and for the better whole.

Lets, WIN, WIN, WIN.

Till next time friends, move on over Hillary Clinton!

xxoo


Michelle, the girl who is learning to run with dresses on.








Me, and some of my favorite littler people.....SHOWING up.

No comments:

Post a Comment