Sunday, April 26, 2015

Hearing the water.


I stopped to hear the water.

Let me explain.

Growing up our family was campers. We had numerous camping spots and campers (my favorite camper being the lime green pop up Apache). Almost every weekend in the summer we would find some state park and set up our spot. One of those places was Mclains State Park. Mclains is nestled right on Lake Superior, up in the Keweenaw Peninsula of Michigan.

My favorite things to do at Mclains as a little tike (I would guess 8-10 years of age) would be, to take my bike down to the deserted part of the beach, and sing.  As a kid, I remember feeling like I was singing to God. And, after my voice got tired from singing, I would whisper questions, worries, problems, to God.
I always biked back to the campground, feeling like I had my own big secret (with all the answers) as the little legs would pedal and the arms steered me in to our site,I would feel, peaceful contentment-knowing the lake took care of everything.

A week ago, my family pulled into my hometown up in the Keweenaw Peninsula- with an agenda. Family wedding, appointments, errands, run kids to friends houses, rehearsals- not forgetting to add on a spontaneous flat tire in front of the bridal shoppe, busy. And, this mind, this body, this soul-just doesn't do busy anymore. So as we ran our errands and the phone was ringing, I tried staying present, enjoying every minute. And, in a perfect way- the time went busily by.

One of the mornings there I woke up knowing where I need to go. After a quick coffee with a friend, I turned the music up and headed down the swirly beautiful canal road. And, as I pulled into Mclains Park, I felt myself relax as my body melted into my car seat.
As I shut off the car and slid down the sand dune, I found a beautiful log, and I sat. Hello, my dear Lake Superior. Ahh.
The socks came off and my feet dug into the moist sand. And, again, I sat. No phone jingling, no family or friend talking, no car sound, no loud teenage music playing, just me in this moment listening to the water, of the healing Lake Superior.

And, I was back...stopping to hear the magic, the sounds, the questions, and then the answers of the water.

Dear friends, no matter how busy life shall be, may we all find moments to stop and just be. May we all find quiet in our chatter to hear lives story.  May we all find a moment to stop and smell a spring flower, the wind, or the mist off the beautiful lake. May we all have a touch of complete contentment. May we all know our worth, and pick what works for us.
And, (this is what I'm working on) may we all be our own best friends, and FEEL unconditionally loved- from the inside out.

Till next time friends- here's the water.
 
XXOO- Michelle, the water girl who is learning to run with dresses on.


No comments:

Post a Comment