Friday, December 12, 2014

The talk on tonsils...

 I brought my brothers tonsils to school in 3rd grade, and pretended they were mine.

My only brother was sick, tonsillitis, and had to have surgery to have them removed, and I remember everything. 

Him going to the hospital, and coming home with a glass  jar of some whitish, moldish, looking molecules in it. The couch being his new home, the tv being his favorite shows, the red popsicles and cookies and cream icecream being his meals.

And, I was jealous. The cards, balloons, notes, would come for him, and I wished/prayed for my tonsils to get that tonsillitis thing, so I could have some fame.  I could take a little pain. My body didn't care. How cool, to be able to have mom and dad all to yourself, family and friends sending you loving thoughts, and DONT forget the icecream!

So, I tried, getting a little of that fame, and woke up early one morning, and stole the glass, fungus looking bottle and brought it to school.  I think at that point in time, I was thinking....of the neighbor girl who broke her arm, and everyone signed her cast?! I wonder if my friends, could sign my brothers tonsil jar. And, I
could pretend....the moldy white looking things, were mine...
I had it all figured out, I would talk like I had laryngitis, and over the weekend ta da, I had my tonsils removed! 

And, as I was holding the tonsil jar and whispering my story (laryngitis remember) 
I got, caught.

There was a  teacher (Mrs. Zanon?)  that took  me aside and informed me, about white lies.  I remember my face getting red, and stuttering out an apology.

I wish I could say, I was the sister that stood beside his bed, and helped nurse his healing with a big glass full of kool-aid with a bright straw in it.

But, that isn't me.

I wanted attention, darn it.

I know I was a kid. I know I've grown (FYI my tonsils are still back there in that mouth I call mine), but the point of me writing this, saying this story, is this.....

I have a big family, I am blessed with many that love me. Along with a family life has brought me friends, in which I truly am grateful for.

And, I get to work with people and take care of them daily as a nurse. I've taken care of brand new hours old babies, and end of life with there last few breaths elders. 

One thing I have seen, is we all want - a little more love and attention, darnit.

The dying man to tell his last stories, the baby crying- to be held, touched, loved.  The quiet middle aged women shopping at the local grocery store,  the homeless man on the street, or the  3rd grader who brings a jar of tonsils to school.

So, let's love all our neighbors, people. Say hi, give a hand, look at a jar of moldy looking molecules for that grade student. 

Let's use these mouths, pharynxs, teeth, larynxs, tonsils, to give attention, to spread a little more love.....

Xxoo
Michelle
The girl who is learning to run with dresses on.

ps. I love you brother Dave, where is that moldy looking jar anyway?!:)






No comments:

Post a Comment